The Western Australian Pregnancy Cohort (Raine) Study-Generation 2
- Start Year
- The Raine Study receives core funding support from the University of Western Australia, Curtin University, the Raine Medical Research Foundation, the Women and Infants Research Foundation, Telethon Kids Institute and Edith Cowan University. Funding of data collection and processing of data has been provided by the National Health and Medical Research Council of Australia(#880441, 930745, 003209, 963209, 32300, 403981, 353514,458623, 403968, 572613, 634445, 1003424, 1021105, 1021858,1027449, 1022134, 1030148, 1037966, 1042269, 1059711,1084947, 1080492), and in chronological order: King Edward Memorial Hospital Research Foundation, Raine Medical Research Foundation, Glaxo Wellcome, the Asthma Foundation of Western Australia, Healthway (#6006, 14123), Telstra Foundation, Cardiovascular Lipid Pfizer Grant, Australian Arthritis Foundation, the Stanley Trust (UK), Ada Bartholomew Medical Research Trust, Gastroenterology Society of Australia, Fremantle Hospital Medical Research Foundation, Women and Infants Research Foundation, Rotary Health Research, Canadian Institutes of Health Research, National Heart Foundation, Channel 7 Telethon Trust, Ophthalmic Research Institute, Princess Margaret Hospital Foundation, Dairy Health and Nutrition Consortium, Danish Council for Strategic Studies, Smarttots, Asthma Foundation, SafeWork Australia, Western Australia Department of Health Future Health Fund andWestern Australia Department of Health Targeted Research Fund. Storage of biosamples has been enabled by substantial in-kind sup-port from King Edward Memorial Hospital, Telethon Kids Institute and Royal Perth Hospital.
- Study design
- Population cohort
- Follow Up
- Follow-ups of our Gen2 participants have been conducted before birth and at ages 1, 2, 3, 5, 8, 10, 14, 17, 18, 20, 22, 27 and 28 years of age, with their parents (Gen1) providing information at pre-natal and perinatal time points up until they were 18 years of age. When our Gen2 participants were 26 years old, their parents (Gen1) participated in their first exclusive follow-up.
Straker L, Mountain J, Jacques A, White S, Smith A, Landau L, Stanley F, Newnham J, Pennell C, Eastwood P. Cohort Profile: The Western Australian Pregnancy Cohort (Raine) Study-Generation 2. Int J Epidemiol. 2017 Oct 1;46(5):1384-1385j. doi: 10.1093/ije/dyw308.
- Sources of Recruitment
Number of participants
- Number of participants
- Number of participants with biosamples
- Supplementary Information
- At baseline mothers (Gen1) in early pregnancy were recruited. Then the study included children born into the Raine Study (Gen2) since birth. More recently, data from Gen2 grandparents (Gen0) and Gen2 offspring (Gen3) has also been collected.