Physicians' Health Study II
- Start Year
- End Year
- PHS-II is funded by the National Institutes of Health and several industry sponsors.
- Study design
- Clinical trial cohort
- Follow Up
- Once a year, PHS-II participants get a 12-month supply of study pills in calendar packs. This shipment also contains an annual follow-up questionnaire. It includes questions about compliance with the study treatments, use of non-study medications, occurrence of major illnesses or adverse effects, and other risk factor information.
Christen WG, Gaziano JM, Hennekens CH. Design of Physicians' Health Study II--a randomized trial of beta-carotene, vitamins E and C, and multivitamins, in prevention of cancer, cardiovascular disease, and eye disease, and review of results of completed trials. Ann Epidemiol. 2000 Feb;10(2):125-34. doi: 10.1016/s1047-2797(99)00042-3.
- Sources of Recruitment
Number of participants
- Number of participants
- Number of participants with biosamples
- Supplementary Information
- male physicians aged 50 years and older who were registered with the American Medical Association and who had not taken part in PHS I.
Availability of data and biosamples