Physicians' Health Study I
- Start Year
- End Year
- The Physicians' Health Study-I was supported by four grants from the National Institutes of Health: CA-34944 and CA-40360 from the National Cancer Institute, and HL-26490 and HL-34595 from the National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute.
- Study design
- Clinical trial cohort
- Follow Up
- The first follow-up questionnaires were sent at six and 12 months of treatment. After that, questionnaires were sent yearly. They included questions about compliance with the study treatments, use of non-study medications, occurrence of major illnesses or adverse effects, and other risk factor information.
Steering Committee of the Physicians' Health Study Research Group. Preliminary report: Findings from the aspirin component of the ongoing Physicians' Health Study. N Engl J Med. 1988 Jan 28;318(4):262-4. doi: 10.1056/NEJM198801283180431.
- Sources of Recruitment
Number of participants
- Number of participants
- Number of participants with biosamples
- Supplementary Information
- Male physicians between 40 and 84 years of age who lived in the United States and who were registered with the American Medical Association.
Availability of data and biosamples