Multi-Ethnic Study of Atherosclerosis
- Start Year
- End Year
- This research is supported by contracts N01-HC-95159 through N01-HC-95169 with the National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute.
- Study design
- Population cohort
- Follow Up
- For classification of CVD events occurring during follow-up in MESA, information will be collected from death certificates, medical records from hospitalizations, autopsy reports, interviews with participants, and, in the case of out-of-hospital deaths, interviews with or questionnaires administered to physicians, relatives, or friends. MESA Assay Census for Exams 1-6( 2002,2004,2005,2007,2011 and 2018)
Bild DE, Bluemke DA, Burke GL, Detrano R, Diez Roux AV, Folsom AR, Greenland P, Jacob DR Jr, Kronmal R, Liu K, Nelson JC, O'Leary D, Saad MF, Shea S, Szklo M, Tracy RP. Multi-Ethnic Study of Atherosclerosis: objectives and design. Am J Epidemiol. 2002 Nov 1;156(9):871-81. doi: 10.1093/aje/kwf113.
- Sources of Recruitment
Number of participants
- Number of participants
- Number of participants with biosamples
- Supplementary Information
- Asymptomatic men and women aged 45-84. Approximately 38 percent of the recruited participants are white, 28 percent African-American, 22 percent Hispanic, and 12 percent Asian, predominantly of Chinese descent.