Jackson Heart Study
- Start Year
- National Heart, Lung and Blood Institute (NHLBI) and the National Institute on Minority Health and Health Disparities (NIMHD).
- Study design
- Population cohort
- Follow Up
- Baseline examination (2000-2004) and two follow-up examinations (2005-2008 and 2009-2012).
Taylor HA Jr, Wilson JG, Jones DW, Sarpong DF, Srinivasan A, Garrison RJ, Nelson C, Wyatt SB. Toward resolution of cardiovascular health disparities in African Americans: design and methods of the Jackson Heart Study. Ethnicity and Diseases. 2005; 15(4 Suppl 6): S6-4-17.
- Sources of Recruitment
Number of participants
- Number of participants
- Number of participants with biosamples
- Supplementary Information
- Participants are residents from the three counties (Hinds, Madison, and Rankin). The age at enrollment for the unrelated cohort was 35-84 years; the family cohort included related individuals >21 years old.